Making Shipping Smart and Sustainable
Varuna Marine Services
The maritime industry is changing. New technologies, new ways of working and an increasingly complex regulatory landscape create both challenges and opportunities. Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services – both traditional and cutting-edge – allowing maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. We work with established and emerging market leaders to challenge the value chain and contribute to the digital revolution while cherishing traditional values such as trust, reliability and long-lasting relationships.
Our team brings its expertise, curiosity and desire to charter new waters, to a little-understood but hugely important global challenge: understanding and improving maritime services worldwide. Our work deals with real-world challenges and directly impacts decision makers and the maritime industry at large. If you have an idea that is a potential game changer we are here to provide a platform. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.We are always looking for bright and motivated professionals. Please send us your CV and motivation letter at email@example.com. For internship opportunities with us, please send us your motivation letter and CV at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Netherlands Head Office
Varuna Marine Services signs Hague Climate Pact
We are proud to announce that we have signed onto the Hague Climate Pact (‘Haags Klimaatpact’). The Hague Climate Pact unites politicians, citizens, businesses and organisations behind the Paris Agreement goal of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5°C. For the city of The Hague, this means reducing emissions to zero by 2030. As a signatory to the Pact, Varuna Marine Services pledges to play its part in the transition to a climate neutral city. We do so in the first place by minimising our own carbon footprint. For example, we only use bicycles, public transport and electric vehicles for local travel. At the same time, we work with partners from around the globe on cutting-edge solutions to reduce maritime emissions at the global level. More information about the Hague Climate Pact can be found on its website (in Dutch): https://www.
Varuna Marine Services partners with COMPA Repairs
Varuna Marine Services and Friend of the Sea together to boost sustainable shipping certification worldwide
Taking our pledge to Sustainability further Varuna Marine Services have partnered with Friend of the Sea . Varuna Marine Services will be auditing vessels , ship management companies, logistics managers interested in achieving International Sustainable Shipping certification. Friend of the Sea, the international certification scheme for sustainable seafood and Dutch marine surveying firm Varuna Marine Services have signed a collaboration agreement to boost sustainable shipping globally.
The two parties agreed that Netherlands-based Varuna Marine Services would support Friend of the Sea in expanding globally its Sustainable Shipping Certification Program. The certification requirements span from pollution prevention to fuel efficiency, from waste management to social accountability. In particular, most updated pollution prevention systems must have been implemented to reduce the emissions of NOx, SOx, PM and CO2, as well as chemicals. Water and waste management measures must be in place. Sustainable ship recycling is an key element. Moreover, in order to combat illegal fishing (IUU), it is forbidden for audited vessels to use a Flag of Convenience, to carry any endangered species, Dolphin-Unsafe tuna or more in general seafood fished or transhipped illegally.
Compliance with social accountability is an important part of the Friend of the Sea sustainable shipping certification, focusing on minor labour, regular contracts and compliance with minimum wage rules, health care, maximum number of working hours, rest and vacations plan.
“The collaboration with Varuna Marine Services will help the certification’s global spread,” explains Paolo Bray, founder and director of Friend of the Sea, “It will guarantee audit’s high performance.”
Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services, both traditional and cutting-edge, enabling maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. Key to the partnership with Friend of the Sea are Varuna Marine Service’s worldwide network of qualified surveyors and its global client base. “This new partnership builds on our commitment to sustainable shipping. We are pleased to use our expertise and global network to ensure better protection of the oceans,” says Sanjeev Wewerinke Singh, General Manager of Varuna Marine Services.
So far, two major European shipping companies, GreenSea and Seatrade, have embraced Friend of the Sea standard voluntarily. Moreover, in an effort to further reduce its environmental impact, French tuna ship-owner Compagnie Française du Thon Océanique (CFTO) is now moving its Friend of the Sea certified tuna only by means of certified sustainable shipping operators.
- U.S. Navy Faced with Second Deadly Shooting This Week December 6, 2019Dec 6 (Reuters) – Three people were killed by a shooter on Friday at Naval Air Station Pensacola, a major U.S. Navy base in Florida, before sheriff’s deputies fatally shot the shooter, authorities said, the second deadly shooting at a U.S. military installation this week. An “active shooter” was encountered on the base on Friday […]Reuters
- Orsted Bets Hydrogen Is Key to Climate Goals December 6, 2019By Will Mathis (Bloomberg) –One of the world’s biggest developers of offshore wind farms thinks its massive turbines could be key to the production of hydrogen in a greener way and ultimately, stemming climate change. Over the past decade, offshore wind has pushed from a frontier technology to a multi-billion-dollar industry that provides green power […]Bloomberg
- ABS Grants AIP for First Jones Act Offshore Wind SOV December 6, 2019The American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) has awarded the first Approval in Principle (AIP) to VARD for its design of a Jones Act service operations vessel (SOV) for the U.S. offshore wind industry. The AIP, which was awarded this week at the International Work Boat Show in New Orleans, is the first granted for a […]Mike Schuler
- Asian Oil Refiners’ Profits Grow on IMO 2020 Demand December 6, 2019By Koustav Samanta and Jane Chung SINGAPORE/SEOUL, Dec 6 (Reuters) – Asia’s oil refiners are starting to see a surge in demand for cleaner fuels that is pushing up processing profits for very low sulphur fuel oil (VLSFO) and gasoil just weeks before new rules take effect for fuel products burned in ships. Most ships […]Reuters
- Serious Concerns Raised Over Inadequate Icebreaking Capabilities on Great Lakes December 5, 2019With winter approaching, worsening ice conditions and high water, the Great Lakes region could be facing potential job losses and serious financial implications due to aging icebreaking assets on both sides of the border, according to U.S.-based Lake Carriers’ Association. The reliability and number of U.S. and Canadian icebreaking assets on the Great Lakes is […]Mike Schuler
- Interview: Castrol’s Gianluca Marucci Talks IMO 2020 December 5, 2019Interview by Mike Schuler – Gianluca Marucci is Global Director of Technical Services at Castrol, a leading global supplier of marine lubricants. With less than a month to go before the IMO 2020 .5% sulphur cap, Castrol’s global technical services teams stand ready to provide a range of 2020-compatible lubricants and technical support at over […]Mike Schuler
- Japan Plans to Send 270 Sailors to Guard Ships in Middle East December 5, 2019TOKYO, Dec 5 (Reuters) – Japan is working on a plan to send about 270 seamen to the Middle East to guard ships supplying Japan under a law that allows military deployments for research and intelligence gathering, the Nikkei business daily said. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is considering a January visit to the Middle East, […]Reuters
- Maersk’s OceanPro Concludes 2nd, Unveils 3rd Cohorts of Tech Startups December 6, 2019Maersk's startup accelerator OceanPro announced a successful conclusion of its second cohort of tech startups. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- CMV Expanding Fleet with P&O Australia’s Duo December 6, 2019Cruise & Maritime Voyages adds two more cruise ships increasing its fleet to eight ships in 2021. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- China Shipbuilding Boasts USD 4.2 Billion Deals Galore December 6, 2019China Shipbuilding Corp has been on a roll over the past week bringing its orderbook to over USD 4.2 billion. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- TEN Extends Charter for LNG Carrier at Higher Rate December 6, 2019Tsakos Energy Navigation extends a charter contract of one of its LNG carriers at a higher rate. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- IRClass, FMT to Develop New Bulk Carrier Designs December 6, 2019Indian Register of Shipping and Further Marine Technology are to cooperate on bulk carrier designs. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- AET Bags USD 245 Mn Charter Deal with Shell December 6, 2019AET Tanker Holdings pens three time charter contracts for three shuttle tankers. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Advantage Tankers Buys VLCC Pair from CMES December 6, 2019Advantage Tankers buys two very large crude carriers. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Petredec Adds Two More Ethylene Carriers at Jiangnan Shipyard December 6, 2019Petredec books the construction of two additional 22,000 cbm ethylene carriers at Jiangnan Shipyard. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Titan LNG to Launch Tender for 8,000 cbm Bunker Barge December 6, 2019Titan LNG has contracted Fearnleys AS to run the tender process for a newbuild LNG bunker barge. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- Seabourn Lays Keel for Seabourn Venture December 5, 2019Seabourn hosts the keel laying for Seabourn Venture at the T. Mariotti shipyard in San Giorgio di Nogaro. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Meyer Turku Hands Over Costa Smeralda December 5, 2019Meyer Turku delivers LNG-fuelled Costa Smeralda to its Italian owner. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News