Making Shipping Smart and Sustainable
Varuna Marine Services
The maritime industry is changing. New technologies, new ways of working and an increasingly complex regulatory landscape create both challenges and opportunities. Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services – both traditional and cutting-edge – allowing maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. We work with established and emerging market leaders to challenge the value chain and contribute to the digital revolution while cherishing traditional values such as trust, reliability and long-lasting relationships.
Our team brings its expertise, curiosity and desire to charter new waters, to a little-understood but hugely important global challenge: understanding and improving maritime services worldwide. Our work deals with real-world challenges and directly impacts decision makers and the maritime industry at large. If you have an idea that is a potential game changer we are here to provide a platform. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.We are always looking for bright and motivated professionals. Please send us your CV and motivation letter at email@example.com. For internship opportunities with us, please send us your motivation letter and CV at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Netherlands Head Office
Varuna Marine Services signs Hague Climate Pact
We are proud to announce that we have signed onto the Hague Climate Pact (‘Haags Klimaatpact’). The Hague Climate Pact unites politicians, citizens, businesses and organisations behind the Paris Agreement goal of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5°C. For the city of The Hague, this means reducing emissions to zero by 2030. As a signatory to the Pact, Varuna Marine Services pledges to play its part in the transition to a climate neutral city. We do so in the first place by minimising our own carbon footprint. For example, we only use bicycles, public transport and electric vehicles for local travel. At the same time, we work with partners from around the globe on cutting-edge solutions to reduce maritime emissions at the global level. More information about the Hague Climate Pact can be found on its website (in Dutch): https://www.
Varuna Marine Services partners with COMPA Repairs
Varuna Marine Services and Friend of the Sea together to boost sustainable shipping certification worldwide
Taking our pledge to Sustainability further Varuna Marine Services have partnered with Friend of the Sea . Varuna Marine Services will be auditing vessels , ship management companies, logistics managers interested in achieving International Sustainable Shipping certification. Friend of the Sea, the international certification scheme for sustainable seafood and Dutch marine surveying firm Varuna Marine Services have signed a collaboration agreement to boost sustainable shipping globally.
The two parties agreed that Netherlands-based Varuna Marine Services would support Friend of the Sea in expanding globally its Sustainable Shipping Certification Program. The certification requirements span from pollution prevention to fuel efficiency, from waste management to social accountability. In particular, most updated pollution prevention systems must have been implemented to reduce the emissions of NOx, SOx, PM and CO2, as well as chemicals. Water and waste management measures must be in place. Sustainable ship recycling is an key element. Moreover, in order to combat illegal fishing (IUU), it is forbidden for audited vessels to use a Flag of Convenience, to carry any endangered species, Dolphin-Unsafe tuna or more in general seafood fished or transhipped illegally.
Compliance with social accountability is an important part of the Friend of the Sea sustainable shipping certification, focusing on minor labour, regular contracts and compliance with minimum wage rules, health care, maximum number of working hours, rest and vacations plan.
“The collaboration with Varuna Marine Services will help the certification’s global spread,” explains Paolo Bray, founder and director of Friend of the Sea, “It will guarantee audit’s high performance.”
Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services, both traditional and cutting-edge, enabling maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. Key to the partnership with Friend of the Sea are Varuna Marine Service’s worldwide network of qualified surveyors and its global client base. “This new partnership builds on our commitment to sustainable shipping. We are pleased to use our expertise and global network to ensure better protection of the oceans,” says Sanjeev Wewerinke Singh, General Manager of Varuna Marine Services.
So far, two major European shipping companies, GreenSea and Seatrade, have embraced Friend of the Sea standard voluntarily. Moreover, in an effort to further reduce its environmental impact, French tuna ship-owner Compagnie Française du Thon Océanique (CFTO) is now moving its Friend of the Sea certified tuna only by means of certified sustainable shipping operators.
- Arctic Expedition to Investigate ‘Epicenter of Climate Change” September 20, 2019For the first time ever, scientists will use a modern research icebreaker to drift in the ice for an entire year, allowing scientists to investigate the Arctic winter from the vicinity of the North Pole. By Ints Kalnins TROMSOE, Norway, Sept 20 (Reuters) – Scientists from 19 countries are preparing to embark on a year-long […]Reuters
- The World’s Biggest Offshore Wind Farm Will Be as Cheap as Coal September 20, 2019By William Mathis (Bloomberg) — The world’s biggest offshore wind park planned off the coast of England will probably in the next decade generate power cheaper than by burning coal. A number of offshore wind projects won contracts to sell power at guaranteed prices in a U.K. auction Friday. The price of 39.65 pounds per […]Bloomberg
- Ardent Top Management to Buyout Partners Svitzer, Crowley September 20, 2019Top management of US-based salvage and offshore decommissioning company Ardent will buy-out the company from founding partners Svitzer and Crowley after receiving financial support. The financing will come from AURELIUS Finance Company, an alternative direct lender. The deal will see Ardent’s senior management team become shareholders in the company. The financial terms of the deal […]Mike Schuler
- Saudi Aramco Sees Full Oil Production Restored by End of September September 20, 2019By Rania El Gamal and Stephen Kalin ABQAIQ, Saudi Arabia, Sept 20 (Reuters) – Saudi state oil company Aramco said it will bring back by end September full crude output at Abqaiq and Khurais, the two oil facilities damaged by attacks last weekend that U.S. officials have blamed on Iran. Aramco is shipping equipment from […]Reuters
- Saudi Attacks, High Demand Leaves U.S. Short on Tankers September 20, 2019By Collin Eaton and Jonathan Saul HOUSTON/LONDON, Sept 20 (Reuters) – A disruption in global oil flows following attacks on Saudi Arabian facilities has left U.S. crude exporters without enough tankers to cover rising demand for cargoes, traders and shipping sources said. Missile attacks last Saturday temporarily cut Saudi oil production by more than 5 […]Reuters
- An $8 Billion Wind Farm Will Test Virginia’s Resolve to Be Green September 20, 2019By Christopher Martin and David R. Baker (Bloomberg) –Dominion Energy Inc.’s customers have been pressing the Virginia utility giant for years to source more clean energy. On Thursday, the company heeded their call — with a $7.8 billion, ratepayer-backed plan to build the largest offshore wind farm in America. The proposal is unprecedented. Never has […]Bloomberg
- Dominion Proposes Largest Offshore Wind Farm in U.S. September 19, 2019Virginia-based electric utility provider Dominion Energy is proposing the United States’ largest offshore wind development off Virginia’s coast. The proposal is for a 2,600-megawatt commercial offshore wind development that will ramp up to include 220 wind turbines providing renewable energy for up to 650,000 homes by the year 2026. If approved, the project would be […]Mike Schuler
- Altomare snaps up VLCC from NYK September 22, 2019Greece’s Altomare has acquired 2005-built 310,300 dwt Imabari VLCC , according to broking sources. Altomare has taken the Toyo from Japan’s NYK according to both Seasure Shipbroking and Advanced Shipping & Trading, however Seasure reports the deal at $28m while Advanced says the deal was done at $29.5m. VesselsValue places a market value of $30.4m […]Grant Rowles
- McDermott moves to sell Lummus Technology September 22, 2019Houston-headquartered McDermott International has received unsolicited approaches to acquire all or part of its technology business Lummus Technology. Due to the approaches, McDermott says it will explore strategic alternatives for the $2.5bn business, and has appointed Evercore as lead advisor. Lummus Technology is a licensor of proprietary petrochemicals, refining, gasification and gas processing technologies, and […]Grant Rowles
- Allseas awarded contract by Repsol to remove Gyda platform September 22, 2019Allseas has been awarded a contract by Repsol Norge for the removal, transfer, load-in to shore and disposal of the Gyda platform in the Norwegian North Sea. The contract covers both the topsides and jacket, and includes an option for reinstallation on another field, as well as an option for the removal and disposal of […]Grant Rowles
- Zhejiang Xinyihai Shipping orders supramax at Jiangsu Haitong September 20, 2019Zhejiang Xinyihai Shipping has placed an order at Jiangsu Haitong Offshore Engineering for the construction of a 51,000 dwt supramax bulk carrier. The ship will be deployed for domestic bulk shipping operations. The price for the ship is RMB157.8m ($22.2m). The company also plans to order another two bulkers in 2020. Xinyihai Shipping was established […]Jason Jiang
- China closes in on record 1bn ton annual steel output September 20, 2019China is on track to defy expectations and produce a record steel output this year of just shy of 1bn tons, according to the latest report from Alphabulk, part of AXS Marine. However, analysts and miners are warning dry bulk owners not to get too excited by this headline number. Latest data from Beijing’s National […]Sam Chambers
- Glencore joins group determined to digitise agrishipping September 20, 2019Glencore has joined an initiative led by the world’s leading agri-shippers to to digitise shipping transactions. Launched last October, the group now consists of Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Bunge, Cargill, COFCO, Louis Dreyfus as well as Glencore. Its aim is to make a digital platform to smooth supply chains. “We’ve been interested in the initiative […]Sam Chambers
- POSH warns on troubled joint venture with Ezion September 20, 2019Robert Kuok’s Singapore-listed PACC Offshore Services Holdings (POSH) could be hit with an impairment charge of up to $42m, following the default of its 50%-owned joint venture on $27.6m worth of debt. The joint venture is POSH Terasea, which the company operates with troubled Ezion Holdings as well as Seabridge Marine Holdings. The loan is […]Sam Chambers
- Readers’ Picks of the Week (September 16-20, 2019) September 22, 2019Here are the most read stories of the previous week. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Germany: Marshall Islands-Flagged Bulker Violated Environmental Regulation September 20, 2019Germany: A Marshall Islands-flagged bulk carrier violated MARPOL Convention. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- NYK Wraps Up Japan’s First Carbon-Neutral Voyage September 20, 2019NYK became the first Japanese shipping company to realize a carbon-neutral voyage by offsetting 5,000 tons of CO2. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- LR, JDP Partners to Design New LNG-Fueled VLCC September 20, 2019LR signed an agreement with several companies for the design of an LNG-fueled VLCC. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- Pirates Board Tanker at Anchorage off Guinea September 20, 2019Four pirates armed with a gun and knives boarded the tanker. There were no injuries to crew members. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Aurelius Finance Supports Ardent Boyout September 20, 2019Aurelius provided financing to support the buyout of Ardent from its co-owners Svitzer and Crowley Holdings. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Video: WinGD Builds World’s Largest Dual-Fuel Engine for Containerships September 20, 201912X92DF is said to be the largest and most powerful gas and dual-fuel engine ever built. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- New Zealand Fines Bulker Captain, Chief Officer for Giving False Details September 20, 2019They gave false information after a crewman passed out due to lack of oxygen in the ship’s hold. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Carnival Gets Approval to Expand Terminal F at PortMiami September 20, 2019The expanded terminal will be capable of supporting the operations of Carnival's new Excel class ship. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Fincantieri Lays Keel for MSC Cruises’ Longest Ship September 20, 2019At 339 meters, the MSC Seashore will be the company's longest ship when it enters service in June 2021. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Industry Majors Busy with Securing Financing September 19, 2019Shipping heavyweights have proven yet another time their fierceness in the fight to preserve liquidity. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News