Making Shipping Smart and Sustainable
Varuna Marine Services
The maritime industry is changing. New technologies, new ways of working and an increasingly complex regulatory landscape create both challenges and opportunities. Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services – both traditional and cutting-edge – allowing maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. We work with established and emerging market leaders to challenge the value chain and contribute to the digital revolution while cherishing traditional values such as trust, reliability and long-lasting relationships.
Our team brings its expertise, curiosity and desire to charter new waters, to a little-understood but hugely important global challenge: understanding and improving maritime services worldwide. Our work deals with real-world challenges and directly impacts decision makers and the maritime industry at large. If you have an idea that is a potential game changer we are here to provide a platform. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.We are always looking for bright and motivated professionals. Please send us your CV and motivation letter at email@example.com. For internship opportunities with us, please send us your motivation letter and CV at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Netherlands Head Office
Varuna Marine Services signs Hague Climate Pact
We are proud to announce that we have signed onto the Hague Climate Pact (‘Haags Klimaatpact’). The Hague Climate Pact unites politicians, citizens, businesses and organisations behind the Paris Agreement goal of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5°C. For the city of The Hague, this means reducing emissions to zero by 2030. As a signatory to the Pact, Varuna Marine Services pledges to play its part in the transition to a climate neutral city. We do so in the first place by minimising our own carbon footprint. For example, we only use bicycles, public transport and electric vehicles for local travel. At the same time, we work with partners from around the globe on cutting-edge solutions to reduce maritime emissions at the global level. More information about the Hague Climate Pact can be found on its website (in Dutch): https://www.
Varuna Marine Services partners with COMPA Repairs
Varuna Marine Services and Friend of the Sea together to boost sustainable shipping certification worldwide
Taking our pledge to Sustainability further Varuna Marine Services have partnered with Friend of the Sea . Varuna Marine Services will be auditing vessels , ship management companies, logistics managers interested in achieving International Sustainable Shipping certification. Friend of the Sea, the international certification scheme for sustainable seafood and Dutch marine surveying firm Varuna Marine Services have signed a collaboration agreement to boost sustainable shipping globally.
The two parties agreed that Netherlands-based Varuna Marine Services would support Friend of the Sea in expanding globally its Sustainable Shipping Certification Program. The certification requirements span from pollution prevention to fuel efficiency, from waste management to social accountability. In particular, most updated pollution prevention systems must have been implemented to reduce the emissions of NOx, SOx, PM and CO2, as well as chemicals. Water and waste management measures must be in place. Sustainable ship recycling is an key element. Moreover, in order to combat illegal fishing (IUU), it is forbidden for audited vessels to use a Flag of Convenience, to carry any endangered species, Dolphin-Unsafe tuna or more in general seafood fished or transhipped illegally.
Compliance with social accountability is an important part of the Friend of the Sea sustainable shipping certification, focusing on minor labour, regular contracts and compliance with minimum wage rules, health care, maximum number of working hours, rest and vacations plan.
“The collaboration with Varuna Marine Services will help the certification’s global spread,” explains Paolo Bray, founder and director of Friend of the Sea, “It will guarantee audit’s high performance.”
Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services, both traditional and cutting-edge, enabling maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. Key to the partnership with Friend of the Sea are Varuna Marine Service’s worldwide network of qualified surveyors and its global client base. “This new partnership builds on our commitment to sustainable shipping. We are pleased to use our expertise and global network to ensure better protection of the oceans,” says Sanjeev Wewerinke Singh, General Manager of Varuna Marine Services.
So far, two major European shipping companies, GreenSea and Seatrade, have embraced Friend of the Sea standard voluntarily. Moreover, in an effort to further reduce its environmental impact, French tuna ship-owner Compagnie Française du Thon Océanique (CFTO) is now moving its Friend of the Sea certified tuna only by means of certified sustainable shipping operators.
- Coronavirus Could Pose Threat to Cruise Ship Credit Ratings February 21, 2020By Kate Duguid NEW YORK (Reuters) – The impact on cruise companies’ earnings from canceled trips, steep discounts and ships quarantined over coronavirus concerns could pose credit risks, said ratings agencies Moody’s Investors Service and S&P Global Ratings. Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean Cruises said last week that scrapped itineraries in Asia due to the outbreak would affect their earnings per share […]Reuters
- Carriers That Invested in Scrubbers May Find the Cost Higher Than Expected February 21, 2020By Gavin van Marle – Shipping lines that have invested in scrubber technology to comply with the IMO 2020 low-sulphur regulations may be forced to reconsider the wisdom of their investment, as fuel producers appear to be looking for ways to push prices up. Since the introduction of the legislation this year, the price differential between […]The Loadstar
- Opinion: It’s About Time the U.S. Ratifies MLC, 2006 February 21, 2020By Captain William Doherty – The recent tragic chain of events regarding the financial irresponsibility of the owners of one the largest U.S. coastwise petroleum carriers, Bouchard Transportation Co., and in particular its owner Morton Bouchard III, whereby numerous actions have been forced upon regulatory agencies, especially the United States Coast Guard, to bring to […]Editorial
- Global Shipping’s ‘Perfect Storm’ to Pass, Veteran CEO Says February 21, 2020By Krystal Chia (Bloomberg) — The global shipping industry has run into very rough waters in 2020 as the virus crisis that’s engulfed China and roiled commodity markets added to headwinds from a seasonal slowdown and poor weather. One chief executive who oversees a fleet of 55 vessels says there’ll be a comeback. “This is certainly […]Bloomberg
- Shipping Industry Faces $370 Million Hit from Panama Canal ‘Freshwater’ Charge February 20, 2020By Jonathan Saul LONDON, Feb 20 (Reuters) – A new “freshwater” charge that came in this month to help the Panama Canal cope with climate change will cost the shipping industry up to $370 million a year, marking another blow for maritime companies already hit by fallout from the coronavirus. The Panama Canal, one of world’s busiest shipping routes, […]Reuters
- Maersk CEO Predicts ‘Sharp’ Rebound After Coronavirus Peaks February 20, 2020By Christian Wienberg (Bloomberg) — A.P. Moller-Maersk A/S, the world’s largest container shipping company, is positioning itself for a strong rebound in two months, based on an expectation that the fallout of the coronavirus on global trade may soon peak. “Over the last two and a half weeks we have seen a steady decline in the […]Bloomberg
- Shipping Counts Costs as Coronavirus Hits Supply Chains February 20, 2020By Jonathan Saul LONDON, Feb 20 (Reuters) – China is struggling to resume normal trade operations as fallout from the coronavirus outbreak hits container shipping lines and logistics chains, with goods stuck and costs mounting, industry officials say. The epidemic has upended global supply chains and caused widespread disruption to businesses and factory activity in China, prompting […]Reuters
- Maersk makes late scrubber run, set to increase HFO use by 150% February 21, 2020Maersk, the world’s largest containerline, is set to more than double the amount of heavy fuel oil (HFO) its fleet consumes by the end of the year. During an investor call at yesterday’s 2019 results briefing, Maersk, previously in the anti-scrubber camp, revealed it is now signed up to a large number of exhaust gas […]Sam Chambers
- ‘You cannot create an environmental paradise on an economic graveyard’: Ioanna Procopiou February 21, 2020Once again regulators were on the receiving end of an earful at a shipping conference yesterday with shipowners increasingly irate at their inability to be able to order new ships for fear they’ll be obsolete with environmental rules chopping and changing. The most memorable quotes at yesterday’s Capital Link Greek Shipping Forum came from Ioanna […]Sam Chambers
- Japan’s engine power limitation plans gain widespread support ahead of MEPC February 21, 2020A host of shipping’s most powerful states and associations have come round to support Japan’s controversial ship power limiting proposals as the best bet for the industry to enact short-term emissions cutting commitments, with the International Maritime Organization set to debate the topic in the next month. Panama, Norway, Greece, Intertanko, Bimco and the International […]Sam Chambers
- Nine kidnapped in seventh attack off Cotonou in the space of just one month February 21, 2020Another ship has been attacked in West Africa with nine crew kidnapped. The , a tanker belonging to Greece’s Oceangold Tankers, was hit 76 nautical miles southwest of Cotonou as the ship made its way towards Lagos. Security firm Dryad Global reports that the officer on watch identified two armed men onboard. It is understood […]Sam Chambers
- The asset light shipping company of Airdrie February 21, 2020Mr Prospector bumps into an old mate at the bus stop. “There’s probably a reader out there somewhere,” I tell myself every month that I sit down at the typewriter in front of my two bar electric heater in the penthouse over the chippy in Airdrie. That’s it by the way. I think that somebody […]Splash 24/7
- Diana Shipping fixes panamax, while capesize sale falls through February 21, 2020Greek dry bulk owner Diana Shipping has entered into a time charter contract with Koch Shipping in Singapore for 2006-built panamax bulker . The charter commenced yesterday for a period of 9-10 months at a rate of $8,000 per day. The vessel was previously on charter to Tongli Shipping at just $5,300 per day. Diana […]Grant Rowles
- Navigare snaps up mega boxship from Enesel February 21, 2020Danish ship investment firm Navigare Capital Partners has acquired a 13,800 teu mega containership as it continues to expand its boxship fleet. VesselsValue data shows Navigare has brought in the 2014-built from Greek owner Nikolas Lemos-led Enesel for an undisclosed price. The vessel is valued at $95.66m by VesselsValue. It becomes the largest containership in […]Jason Jiang
- Coronavirus Claims the Lives of Two Diamond Princess Passengers February 21, 2020Two passengers from Diamond Princess, who were infected with coronavirus, passed away. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- BIMCO: Coronavirus Comes at the Worst Time for Shipping February 21, 2020The outbreak of the coronavirus comes at one of the worst time for the shipping industry. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Ships Trading with North Korea Will Not Be Flying Palau Flag February 21, 2020Palau Ship Registry: Vessels violating UNSCRs on trading with North Korea will not be registered. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- IMO Urges Unnecessary Delays to Ships amid Coronavirus Are Prevented February 21, 2020IMO urges member states to undertake measures to prevent unnecessary delays of ships. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Diana Shipping’s 2nd Vessel Sale Falls Through February 21, 2020Both sales were announced back in December 2019. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Carnival Cruise Line Inks 5-Year Agreement with City of Norfolk February 21, 2020Carnival Cruise Line will operate seasonal cruises from Norfolk's Half Moone Cruise Center through 2025. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- MOL, DSME Join Forces on Cutting FSRUs’ Environmental Impact February 21, 2020MOL, DSME exploring new technology to reduce environmental impact for FSRUs. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- ABS to Class World’s Largest Type-B Ethane Carriers February 21, 2020ABS to class world’s largest Type-B VLECs by Jiangnan. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- Hunter Nets USD 220 Mln Loan to Finance VLCC Newbuilds February 21, 2020Hunter Tankers AS secures USD 220 million loan facility. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News
- Clarkson Acquires Spanish Shiproker Martankers February 21, 2020Clarksons has acquired 100% of the issued share capital of Spanish shipbroker Martankers. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News
- Ten Seafarers Kidnapped from Tanker off Cotonou February 20, 2020Ten crew members have been kidnapped from a crude oil tanker off Cotonou, Benin. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]World Maritime News World Maritime News