Making Shipping Smart and Sustainable
Varuna Marine Services BV
The maritime industry is changing. New technologies, new ways of working and an increasingly complex regulatory landscape create both challenges and opportunities. Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services – both traditional and cutting-edge – allowing maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. We work with established and emerging market leaders to challenge the value chain and contribute to the digital revolution while cherishing traditional values such as trust, reliability and long-lasting relationships.
Our team brings its expertise, curiosity and desire to charter new waters, to a little-understood but hugely important global challenge: understanding and improving maritime services worldwide. Our work deals with real-world challenges and directly impacts decision makers and the maritime industry at large. If you have an idea that is a potential game changer we are here to provide a platform. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.We are always looking for bright and motivated professionals. Please send us your CV and motivation letter at email@example.com. For internship opportunities with us, please send us your motivation letter and CV at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Netherlands Head Office
Varuna Marine Services signs Hague Climate Pact
We are proud to announce that we have signed onto the Hague Climate Pact (‘Haags Klimaatpact’). The Hague Climate Pact unites politicians, citizens, businesses and organisations behind the Paris Agreement goal of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5°C. For the city of The Hague, this means reducing emissions to zero by 2030. As a signatory to the Pact, Varuna Marine Services pledges to play its part in the transition to a climate neutral city. We do so in the first place by minimising our own carbon footprint. For example, we only use bicycles, public transport and electric vehicles for local travel. At the same time, we work with partners from around the globe on cutting-edge solutions to reduce maritime emissions at the global level. More information about the Hague Climate Pact can be found on its website (in Dutch): https://www.
Varuna Marine Services partners with COMPA Repairs
Varuna Marine Services and Friend of the Sea together to boost sustainable shipping certification worldwide
Taking our pledge to Sustainability further Varuna Marine Services have partnered with Friend of the Sea . Varuna Marine Services will be auditing vessels , ship management companies, logistics managers interested in achieving International Sustainable Shipping certification. Friend of the Sea, the international certification scheme for sustainable seafood and Dutch marine surveying firm Varuna Marine Services have signed a collaboration agreement to boost sustainable shipping globally.
The two parties agreed that Netherlands-based Varuna Marine Services would support Friend of the Sea in expanding globally its Sustainable Shipping Certification Program. The certification requirements span from pollution prevention to fuel efficiency, from waste management to social accountability. In particular, most updated pollution prevention systems must have been implemented to reduce the emissions of NOx, SOx, PM and CO2, as well as chemicals. Water and waste management measures must be in place. Sustainable ship recycling is an key element. Moreover, in order to combat illegal fishing (IUU), it is forbidden for audited vessels to use a Flag of Convenience, to carry any endangered species, Dolphin-Unsafe tuna or more in general seafood fished or transhipped illegally.
Compliance with social accountability is an important part of the Friend of the Sea sustainable shipping certification, focusing on minor labour, regular contracts and compliance with minimum wage rules, health care, maximum number of working hours, rest and vacations plan.
“The collaboration with Varuna Marine Services will help the certification’s global spread,” explains Paolo Bray, founder and director of Friend of the Sea, “It will guarantee audit’s high performance.”
Varuna Marine Services offers a broad portfolio of services, both traditional and cutting-edge, enabling maritime businesses to position themselves at the forefront of change. Key to the partnership with Friend of the Sea are Varuna Marine Service’s worldwide network of qualified surveyors and its global client base. “This new partnership builds on our commitment to sustainable shipping. We are pleased to use our expertise and global network to ensure better protection of the oceans,” says Sanjeev Wewerinke Singh, General Manager of Varuna Marine Services.
So far, two major European shipping companies, GreenSea and Seatrade, have embraced Friend of the Sea standard voluntarily. Moreover, in an effort to further reduce its environmental impact, French tuna ship-owner Compagnie Française du Thon Océanique (CFTO) is now moving its Friend of the Sea certified tuna only by means of certified sustainable shipping operators.
- Boatloads of Cargo Off Los Angeles Grind Gears of World Economy November 22, 2020By Brendan Murray (Bloomberg) — A flotilla of almost a dozen cargo vessels sits anchored just south of Los Angeles this weekend, waiting for berth space. Around the twin ports of...Bloomberg
- U.S. CDC Recommends Against All Cruise Ship Travel November 22, 2020Nov 21 (Reuters) – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday it recommended that all people avoid cruise ship travel as the risk of COVID-19...Reuters
- Update: Passenger Ferry Viking Grace Refloated in Aland Islands November 22, 2020Update: A rescue tug was able to pull the Viking Grace from the rocks early Sunday morning at around 3:40 a.m. The vessel later docked in Mariehamn where passengers were...Mike Schuler
- US Navy Thanks Merchant Mariners On YouTube November 21, 2020Just days after Veterans day the US Navy released this video via YouTube and all its social media channels thanking US Merchant Mariners for their service to the nation. RELATED...John Konrad
- gCaptain Shop Black Friday Week Discount November 21, 2020The gCaptain Shop is open for the holiday season with some new designs and returns of some old favorites. Please note that due to COVID deliveries will be delayed this...John Konrad
- Canadian Pea and Lentil Exports Hit by Container Shortage November 21, 2020By Marcy Nicholson (Bloomberg) — A shortage of containers at Vancouver’s port is slowing Canada’s exports of lentils and peas, the latest ripple in a phenomenon that has roiled trade. Companies...Bloomberg
- CMA CGM Expects Strong Year-End for Container Shipping November 20, 2020PARIS, Nov 20 (Reuters) – Container shipping group CMA CGM said on Friday shipping activity remained strong in the final quarter of 2020 after a rebound from initial coronavirus-related disruption boosted the French...Reuters
- Beihai Shipping signs order for shuttle tanker pair with DSIC November 23, 2020Shanghai-based Beihai Shipping has entered into a shipbuilding contract with Dalian Shipbuilding Industry (DSIC) for the construction of two 155,000 dwt shuttle tankers. The contract is made up of firm order of one vessel plus option for another. The vessels will be deployed at CNOOC’s oilfield project in Brazil upon delivery in 2022. Beihai Shipping […]Jason Jiang
- Kanway Line orders up to four feeder boxships at Huangpu Wenchong November 23, 2020Taiwanese container shipping operator Kanway Line has placed an order at CSSC-affiliated Huangpu Wenchong Shipbuilding for the construction of up to four 1,900 teu containerships. The shipbuilding contracts comprise of firm order of two ships and option for another two ships. The vessels will adopt Huangpu Wenchong’s Bangkokmax design and deliveries are scheduled in 2022. […]Jason Jiang
- MSC continues boxship buying spree November 22, 2020Swiss-headquartered containerline Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) continues to aggressively add secondhand tonnage to its fleet, this week being linked to two more deals by brokers. MSC has snapped up 2000-built 1,730 teu feeder boxship , acquired from Peter Dohle Schiffahrts for an undisclosed price. The vessel has been renamed MSC Panaya, and like many of […]Grant Rowles
- Solstad awarded Aussie anchor handler extensions by Inpex November 22, 2020Norwegian owner Solstad Offshore has been awarded extensions by Inpex Operations Australia for a pair of anchor handling tug supply vessels supporting drilling at the Ichthys LNG development. Normand Scorpion and Normand Sirius will now continue operations through to August 2030, with additional options available. Having originally been awarded contracts in December 2019, the two […]Grant Rowles
- Chinese reefer delays escalate as fears grow of Covid relapses from frozen food imports November 20, 2020Fearing Covid strains could enter the country on frozen food imports, China is upping its checks on reefer shipments, leading to considerable delays at a number of ports. Chinese health officials said Wednesday that two cold-chain storage workers in the port city of Tianjin were infected with Covid-19. Earlier Covid relapses in the summer in […]Jason Jiang
- Poll finds a majority of Americans would change where they shop to support cleaner ships November 20, 2020A new poll conducted for Pacific Environment by Yale University, George Mason University and Climate Nexus finds that nearly three-quarters (74%) of American voters would be more likely to shop at companies that use cleaner ways to ship their goods. The poll, released as IMO member states meet this week to discuss emissions measures, finds […]Sam Chambers
- LNG enters new phase November 20, 2020Dallas Smith, director of LNG and offshore at the Liberian Registry, writes today on the importance of rapidly scaling up LNG fuelling options at ports around the world. There’s a ploy used in tabloid journalism about building up stars and then bashing them once they’ve made it to the big time. The same could be […]Splash
- The Clean Arctic Alliance says IMO’s ban leaves Arctic vulnerable to HFO spill for another decade November 20, 2020The Clean Arctic Alliance slammed the decision by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to […] The post The Clean Arctic Alliance says IMO’s ban leaves Arctic vulnerable to HFO spill for another decade appeared first on Offshore Energy.Jasmina Ovcina
- Building confidence in marine energy technology through certification November 20, 2020As part of the IEC 62600 standard series, IEC Technical Committee 114 (IEC TC 114) has recently published a new part for the international standard to support the assessment of marine energy technologies. The post Building confidence in marine energy technology through certification appeared first on Offshore Energy.Amir Garanovic
- Repsol Sinopec preparing for decommissioning of UK North Sea field November 20, 2020Repsol Sinopec has received approval from the UK authorities for preparation work scopes relating to the decommissioning of the Fulmar and Auk North installations. The post Repsol Sinopec preparing for decommissioning of UK North Sea field appeared first on Offshore Energy.Nermina Kulovic
- Canada backs carbon neutral survey platform development November 20, 2020Canada’s Ocean Supercluster is supporting XOCEAN-led XO-G2 project which aims to develop the next […] The post Canada backs carbon neutral survey platform development appeared first on Offshore Energy.Adis Ajdin
- Equinor told to fix issues on two Norwegian projects November 20, 2020Norwegian offshore safety agency has found nonconformities following audits of the Equinor-operated Johan Castberg and Kristin projects in Norway. The post Equinor told to fix issues on two Norwegian projects appeared first on Offshore Energy.Nermina Kulovic
- Hafnia CEO: Further consolidation needed within the product tanker sector November 20, 2020Product tanker major Hafnia Limited believes that further consolidation is needed within the product […] The post Hafnia CEO: Further consolidation needed within the product tanker sector appeared first on Offshore Energy.Jasmina Ovcina
- Osprey Group bags Moray East OWF contract November 20, 2020The Osprey Group has won a contract to provide handling and storage services for […] The post Osprey Group bags Moray East OWF contract appeared first on Offshore Energy.Adrijana Buljan
- Zvezda cuts steal for lead Arctic LNG 2 tanker November 20, 2020Russian Zvezda Shipbuilding Complex said it has cut the steel for the lead vessel in the ice-class ARC7 LNG tanker series. The post Zvezda cuts steal for lead Arctic LNG 2 tanker appeared first on Offshore Energy.Adnan Bajic
- MacGregor makes Lingshui 17-2 deliveries November 20, 2020MacGregor, part of Cargotec, has delivered the riser pull-in system for the Lingshui 17-2 […] The post MacGregor makes Lingshui 17-2 deliveries appeared first on Offshore Energy.Adis Ajdin
- NV5 scores $8 mln LNG upgrade deal November 20, 2020The U.S. engineering and consulting solutions provider NV5 has secured an $8 million LNG upgrade deal. The post NV5 scores $8 mln LNG upgrade deal appeared first on Offshore Energy.Adnan Bajic